Hello Greg! It is a pleasure to have you on the team at JBVC! Tell us a little about yourself! It’s a pleasure to be a part of the team! In short, I am a music and voice nerd who is trying to learn as much as possible every day! I often work as a background vocalist, and I enjoy singing and arranging for vocal ensembles of various sizes.
When I’m not coaching or doing something musical, I’m usually cooking and/or eating, exercising, or hanging with friends!
Awesome! Well let’s play a fun little game of 10 Questions! Go!Ten Questions with Greg Breal
- If you could sound like any 3 singers in the world, who would they be? Javonte, Jazmine Sullivan, Maurice White
- What was the first song you ever performed on stage? “When You Come Back Down” – Nickel Creek
- What would you say is your greatest accomplishment as a singer? Receiving feedback that a performance of mine was healing for someone
- What is your favorite 90’s song? HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO CHOOSE JUST ONE?!?…probably “Honey” by Mariah Carey
- How did you become a vocal coach? It has definitely been a gradual process facilitated by friends, mentors, and teachers. As I’ve gained experience as a vocalist and have learned more about finding consistency in my own voice, I’ve naturally wanted to share some of that knowledge to help others along the way. Finding new freedom in my voice is often accompanied by some much needed inner growth for me personally, and as a result I feel that I’ve experienced more joy and gratitude in my day to day life. I want to help others build healthy, loving, and productive relationships with their voices so that they can express what is uniquely theirs to share in the world. That desire has driven me to take the coaching opportunities that have come my way!
- What has been your most rewarding experience with a student? Recently, a student of mine accessed her lower register with distinct clarity and power I have not heard from her before. It was not only a beautiful sound, but she had been working to break through some psychological barriers associated with her singing as well that were causing a lot of hesitation in her sound. It was incredibly rewarding to witness the positive reaction she had to the new found power and freedom in her mind and body.
- If you could play any instrument perfectly, what would it be? Piano
- What are your hard-hitting thoughts on garden gnomes? I think that a modest number of well placed gnomes can really evoke a special kind of whimsy that many might like to find in their yards.
- What is your go-to song for karaoke? I ain’t do dat…In other words, I’ve never really felt incredibly drawn to participate in singing at karaoke.
- What’s the most interesting thing about you that most people don’t know? Hmm.. I was a very average gymnast when I was a kid, but I can still tumble haha